Ludum Dare was really an eye opening experience for me. I had a ton of fun and I’m getting an amazing amount of feedback from the indie gamedev community, which is fantastic! I think as a result of the experience, I’m going to continue developing “The Wizard Apprentice” prototype into a more feature-full game. I love doing the level and puzzle design, and dropping the assets in and playing with them is really a blast! I’m not going to abandon HexDev, but it’s currently sitting on my back burner.
I decided to run with the concept, and fix a lot of things, keeping some of the puzzles the same, rewriting some, and adding a lot more content. I’m probably going to rename the game, because the name is too generic and I literally decided on the name in the last 10 minutes of the competition while I was submitting my entry.
I’ve done a couple of things so far, worth mentioning, so here’s a glimpse:
- I’m revamping the way my modelling in Blender was done, so I have cleaner transitions and better control over connections like the stairwell.
- Opened up the room depth, taking full advantage of the “octagonal space” on each floor.
- Stairwells no longer require a turn halfway through (I’m not sure if this will make it harder or easier, but so far I like the new style better)
- Adding Toon-Style shading where appropriate
- Fixed some camera angle issues to give better depth perspective. (may tweak this some more)
Lots more to come! Stay tuned!